Friday, June 01, 2007

If I Were a Sister...

Sometimes I catch myself thinking about what my life would be like had I been a sister to someone. Would I be a good sibling? I've given it a lot of thought though on the type of sibling I would want to be had I had a sibling. It saddens me when I see brothers/sisters who basically act like they could care less about their sibling. It shows too...they're not close to each other, their children are not close to their cousins and they have a relationship devoid of anything substantial. I've always been told that this happens in a lot of families.....why does it happen? Why does one want to be a mediocre sibling, instead of striving to be that sibling that makes a brother/sister proud? I've always, always, ALWAYS wanted a sibling....I never got one obviously - so it just makes me watch other people who have that one thing that I do not have - a sibling. I watch how they treat their brother/sister, I watch them take advantage of their brother/sister, and I watch how their relationship is disintegrating because neither of them care enough to make more out of it. There are some people in this world who should have been only children. The people who blame their sibling for not getting enough attention and get into trouble JUST to get attention. The people who cannot think beyond themselves long enough to realize they have a brother/sister. The people who only want to pay attention to their brother/sister when it's going to benefit them in some way, shape or form. I just don't understand this mentality of casting aside your brother/sister until you need them to watch your kids, give you a ride, be a shoulder to cry on when you've screwed up your life, etc.....I don't understand it at all. There is only one family I've ever seen whose siblings totally adore each other and it shows. My Aunt and Uncle on my Dad's side of the family. I think it's all in the way you're raised too. If you're raised to only have animosity and jealousy towards each other....what can you expect to have for a relationship in your adult years? Mike and I both think London would be an awesome big brother. He has that caring, empathetic side to him. Plus, we've raised him to be a very loving and sensitive child. I hope he will get to have the chance to be a big brother because I just know he will be great at it. So, my word of advice is this....remember that you only have each other to go through life's trials and don't wait until it's too late and you're filled with regret because you were too wrapped up in yourself to care about anyone else. Maybe I'm not the expert on siblings......even though I've always wanted to be one. But, I do know that I wouldn't settle for mediocrity as a sibling. I would want to be the best I could possibly be.
Since I have no siblings though, I will never have to worry about what could have been.

No comments: